Ginevra

Ginevra

occassional glimpses
carpet

Ginevra
Sydney, Australia

About me…
I’ve always loved making things. And red has always been my favourite colour, because it’s not girly pink!

I like Twitter a lot, blogging not so much. Please say hello to me at . I mostly think about fashion or craft or my kids or notice weird stuff where I live (Sydney) or remember how much I liked living in Tokyo…

About my square…
As soon as I thought about red, I saw Persian carpets, geometric but not totally symmetrical, vibrant in their thousands of different fading reds…

But actually, when I went to the library to borrow books on old carpets, I got sidetracked and used Pakistani, Indian and Palestinian motifs, not Iranian ones!

And then I remembered Kaffee Fassett’s Glorious Needlepoint, a book I read over and over as a child. As Kaffee suggested, I used four strands together, different tones of red. I kept one of the reds (almost always) consistent, for coherence.

This was my first ever embroidery. I rather exaggerated the imperfections, didn’t I? I started out a little worried that drawing everything up on graph paper might make it a little too sterile…

And I love the back, I know the ends aren’t meant to be just knotted like that. But it reminds me of the tied ends of carpet.

Oh, and there’s a heart, a blessing, room to finish up a little more and some darning as well!

Find me…
I write a blog called Occasional Glimpses.
It really is occasional, but I have special plans for it, come late November when all my exams are done!

1 comment:

Jonathan said...

I'd really like to see the color blending up close. This was a lot of work. Very nice.